Thursday, November 11, 2010

But this isn't English class!

I'm giving tests today in both Chemistry and Physics. And both tests will include a short answer question that will require an answer in complete sentences. In physics they have to write an actual paragraph.

This should not be news or a big deal, but it will be. Students will argue with me about their answers. They will tell me that they just forgot that a sentence starts with a capital letter and ends with a period (or other punctuation). They will tell me that the obviously lowercase letter is just how they write capital letters. They will defend their paragraph-length run on sentence as grammatically acceptable.

And they will tell me "This isn't English class!"

Because apparently the only place in the world that writing should happen is inside the English classroom...

No comments:

Post a Comment